British in Europe explains the Withdrawal Agreement

Our colleagues at British in Europe have been busy looking at the details of the Withdrawal Agreement and providing the detail for you in a readable format.

The first in a series of explanatory articles covering what is it, what does it do and who does it cover is available on their website.

The second covers Residence Rights and Procedures and is now available on their website.

The third covers Health, Pensions and Social Security and is now available on their website.

The fourth covers Working Rights, Professional Qualifications
and Future Family Reunification and is now available on their website.

The fifth covers What is Not Covered and is now available on their website.

And the final one in the series, the sixth, provides answers to Frequently Asked Questions and is now available on their website.

Please also consider a donation to British in Europe to help them in their valuable work.

4 thoughts on “British in Europe explains the Withdrawal Agreement”

  1. Hello British in Europe

    I was worrying about being asked to leave if I lost my job, became ill, started asking for social security, or was convicted of a crime but:

    reading the withdrawal agreement and directive 2004/38/ec it looks like article 16 (5 years gives right of permanent residence) takes precedence over chapter iii article 7, so if we have been permanently resident for 5 years or more we can only be asked to leave if we are absent for 2 years (article 16.4)

    This analysis matches the FAQs answered by the EU on the withdrawal agreement

    “In essence, EU citizens and UK nationals meet these conditions if they are: workers or self-employed; or have sufficient resources and sickness insurance; or are family members of some other person who meets these conditions; or have already acquired the right of permanent residence and are therefore no longer subject to any conditions”

    Therefore shouldn’t the EU countries be able to, and have to if requested, issue those people who have been resident for over 5 years with permanent documents straight away? We do not have to wait till the transition period is over. We should not just get a certificate of Application of residence but the full document.

    I asked for a permanent document from the authorities last year and was told there was nothing better than my passport and therefore there was nothing they could give me, but now I think they were mistaken. Was I ?

    Do you think I have understood the texts correctly?

    I am raising these as general questions, relevant for everyone who has been here more than 5 years not just for me, so I understand if you cannot answer me individually.

    Directive 2004/38/ec


    Thank you for your time and effort

    Kind regards
    G Halsall

  2. I can only read a small part of your mails as the tweets take over your mail unless it is a PDF to unload. Can you help me, is this a general problem.

  3. Could you please clarify one point? I am a British citizen and have lived in Germany since 1993. I also have dual nationality, having obtained German citizenship in 2019. Under the terms of the withdrawal agreement do I need to apply for a residence permit, or is this unnecessary because of my dual nationality?

Comments are closed.