JOINT RESPONSE RELEASED 1st JULY 2017 British in Europe and the3million publish their joint response to the UK’s Proposal of 26 June on Safeguarding Citizens’ Rights.
5 representatives of the citizen organisations British in Europe and the 3million group have been invited on 28 March by chief EU Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier for informal discussions before Article 50 is triggered by the British Government.
Nicolas Hatton, founder of the3million, said:
“This raises the possibility of an early deal to secure our rights, which makes me really hopeful about the future.”
Jane Golding from British in Europe, the coalition of 12 citizens groups in the EU, said:
“We are pleased he wishes to engage with us, and will be asking him to seek a rapid solution based on maintaining the existing rights of 4 million people – including the 3 million EU citizens now resident in the UK – currently trapped in Brexit limbo.”
The meeting will take place in Brussels on 28th March and updates from the meeting will follow..
Read more on The Guardian.
Brits in Europe will submit written evidence to the Exiting the European Union Commons Select Committee that will include a position paper looking at the main issues for economically active British citizens living in the EU. For further details contact us here.
- Judgment in the Article 50 challenge handed down at 10am, 3rd November 2016 in Court in Room 4.
- An appeal by the losing party or parties, ‘leapfrogged’ direct to the Supreme Court to be heard early in December, is very likely.
- The People Challenge launched a new fundraising appeal to cover legal costs. They consider it vital that ordinary people’s EU citizenship rights continue to be defended in this unprecedented important case.
- The Guardian reports:
High court says parliament must vote on triggering article 50
Judgment on the Article 50 challenge will be handed down at 10am, 3rd November 2016 in Court Room 4. An appeal by the losing party or parties, ‘leapfrogged’ direct to the Supreme Court to be heard early in December, is very likely.
The Peoples Challenge have said they will be launching a new fundraising appeal tomorrow to cover legal costs and other expenses associated with the appeal.
See details of court procedure here.
- The HoL EU Justice Committee had a hearing on the rights of EU citizens and acquired rights.
- Witnesses included HE Sylvie Bermann, Ambassador of France and the Rt Hon The Lord Howard of Lympne CH QC